University of Toronto
November 2012 – present
Communications and Media Relations Strategist, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
- Responsible for high-level communications projects and the implementation of a comprehensive media relations program.
- Provide guidance and advice on broad matters related to communications and media relations.
- Responsible for developing and implementing strategic media outreach plans, integrating social media efforts into overall strategy in close collaboration with Web & Digital Communications Strategist.
- Create and edit supporting communications materials; working cross-Faculty to develop resources, experts and stories for media.
- Provide media training/coaching; pitching angles and stories to media and fielding media requests; building and developing media and blogger relationships; as well as monitoring and reporting on media coverage and continuously assessing the effectiveness of media outreach.
Simon Fraser University
Surrey Campus 2002 – 2010
Responsible for communications for SFU’s 2,500-student Surrey campus
- Managed a $200,000 annual communications budget and supervised 2 part-time staff.
- Coordinated communications for the opening of Simon Fraser University’s new Surrey campus, including signage and website.
- Created and implemented an electronic-based internal communications strategy for SFU Surrey faculty, staff and students.
- Directed the implementation and brand adherence of the new graphic identity for the University’s Surrey campus.
- Provided internal and external communications services, including news releases, advertising & publicity, community and government relations, and internet-based communications.
- Provided guidance and skill enhancement in photography, writing, editing and web design for undergraduate students employed part-time by the university.
- Wrote news stories, features, profiles and news releases for the university’s website, alumni magazine, staff newspaper and other vehicles. Also wrote speeches and position papers for senior management.
- Devised and implemented a social media strategy for the SFU Surrey campus, including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Flickr. Also encouraged other campus departments and staff to effectively use social media for communication.
Technical University of BC
Manager Marketing & Communications
- Planned and launched a new website for the Technical University of British Columbia.
- Devised and implemented a marketing strategy for the university.
- Liaised with media outlets regarding the university, its students, faculty and its future.
The University of Western Ontario 1997 – 2001
- Managed a team of six professional communicators and a $500,000 communications budget.
- Oversaw the publication of large-scale communication projects, including the rebuilding of the university website, production and editing of an 80,000 circulation quarterly magazine, student recruitment publications and university calendars.
- Managed the implementation of the university’s new corporate identity to all campus departments and communication materials.
- Developed and implemented annual campaigns to recruit undergraduate and international students, using advertising, web, posters, viewbooks and other materials.
Workplace Health and Safety Agency 1991 – 1997
Public Affairs Specialist
- Edited and produced a 32-page quarterly magazine, newsletters, brochures, information sheets and posters.
- Oversaw the development and publication of a health and safety textbook.
- Liaised with media, government and public.
- Wrote speeches for senior leaders of the organization, developed and maintained a World Wide Web site, coordinated production of multimedia cd-rom archives.
York University 1987 – 1991
Manager Marketing & Communications
- Produced and coordinated university calendars, brochures and newsletters; liaised with media, provided public relations advice and services to individual university faculties and schools; wrote news stories for internal publications.
University of British Columbia 1986 – 1987
- Developed and implemented a publicity campaign to introduce students to UBC’s new automated registration system.
UBC Alumni Association
1983 – 1986
Acting Director, Communications
- Developed and implemented the communications policy for a 100,000-member non- profit association and edited and supervised the production of a quarterly glossy magazine.
- As assistant editor, wrote and edited copy; took photographs; produced brochures, news releases, and other communication vehicles. Managed the university’s Speakers Bureau.